The cutting instructions for the setting triangles was pretty precise, but the layout instructions were nonexistent. I wrestle the design wall up in the studio and start placing pieces. The interesting thing is that I have two sizes of setting triangles. Obviously the little ones go on the 4 corners, but what about the rest?
I consult my Mimi Dietrich Baltimore Basics book and it's no help. Her on point blocks are all surrounded by sashing in the center of the quilt surrounded by a border...easily stitched together in rows. Hmmm....where are rows on this vertical border?
Great, until I got to the bottom horizontal row. 2 empty spaces, 3 blocks, and my straight line theory bit the dust. Sound the retreat.
Another couple days of staring at the wall, pondering exactly what would be a consistent placing of those smaller setting triangles. The only way I was going to figure this out was to rip a couple of them out and experiment. Obviously it wasn't the first time we'd taken a seam ripper to this particular border, but fingers crossed it would be the last.
Wah la! I figured it out, and in so doing, also figured out that when properly laid out and sewn, the two side borders would exactly fit the center medallion. Sew them on, and then attach the top and bottom border. Then sew the top and bottom rows and attach them....finished!