Friday, May 13, 2011

Bloggers Quilt Festival - Spring 2011 - My Mexican Star

This is my Mexican Star. It's an experiment in curves and color. My second quilt using batiks and contrast.


I like that the curves are formed after it's pieced, so there's a dimensional quality to the piece.  



I used a combination of very square and very circular freemotion quilting patterns on the circular background, which was relatively painless and left little room for disappointment.

This quilt was one of those 'outside my comfort zone' projects that I'm glad I went for. It was a challenge picking the fabrics that went together (based on an instruction to choose 'light', 'medium' and 'dark"), and finding a background that worked. Especially since I'm generally one of those quilters who just picks a line of fabric and uses the various prints from within that line.

And what I really like about this little quilt is the back

.
When I saw this fabric in the quilt shop, I knew I had to have it. This was my introduction to Jinny Beyer, and because of this fabric, I've made a couple of trips to her shop in Great Falls, VA. You'll see her fabric turn up as inspiration fabric in a couple of my upcoming projects.

I'd like to thank Amy at Amy's Creative Side for once again hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival. There's a link on my sidebar that I hope you'll use to view the many beautiful quilts and their stories from this Spring's participants. No need to rush through, they'll be available for a while and you can hop from one to the other through links posted by the participants. Enjoy the beauty, and I hope you find inspiration.







16 comments:

  1. Love the mexican star in batiks and the JBeyer is the perfect backing. Kudos.
    Come see my entries, #212 repro cheddar stars and 216 antique 1850 applique flower garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never seen a mexican star until yesterday and I am just loving it! Gorgeous! This is totally on my to do list!

    PS How are you doing with your fatcat BOM fiesta?

    I have been a follower for a while and just started a new blog. Check it out if you have time. www.scraps-a-plenty at blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is just gorgeous, including the backing. I love it (but that's just not a surprise, I love almost all your creations.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really looks good. The Beyer backing is perfect.
    Worth the trip to Fall Church.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! I love the little triangles at the corners that point the way in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Mexican Star quilt. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!!!
    And the backing works wonderfully with the lovely pieced front.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colors, I love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful quilt. Love your fabric and color selections. Spectacular quilting too.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful!! love batiks. what a lovely pattern. love the curviness. all in all just great. thanks for sharing and have a great day! my nephews are in gaithersburg, hubby grew up in silver springs

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a really interesting star. It looks great. I love your use of batiks.!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that purple and green dot batik you used for the background!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a Judy Niemeyer pattern is it not? What a great version and I do love the batiks you used in it.
    I would love to be able to visit Jinny Beyer's shop- She has such amazing fabrics and designs.
    Warmest regards,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and look forward to your comments. Thanks for reading. Happy quilting!