Saturday, March 1, 2014

"Quelle heure est-il?"


How do you like my Kaffe Fassett wall clock? I've been wanting to make one of these ever since I saw the idea in Pinterest last summer, but I never had the opportunity to go to Ikea to pick up the Smycke Hexagon clock. Well, we passed an Ikea on our way home from the quilt show in Hampton, VA yesterday, so I finally got my clock. Of course, I ran right out today and picked up some double sided adhesive paper to use with some of the strips from my Kaffe Fassett jelly roll. I channeled my inner 8 year old Lego builder and put it together, and took it apart, and put it together and took it apart and put it together one more time before deciding that 'third time's a charm'. Now all I've got to do is hang it in the morning. (Oh wait, it IS morning now, isn't it? Not sure the hubs would appreciate me pounding nails into walls at 3 a.m.. I'll wait.)

 

And this is my little divided basket that went along on the 7 hour drive and back to the quilt show in Hampton Thursday. It's got the applique block I'm working on inside.

The pattern is Carolyn Friedlander's Social Tote, and let me tell you, it's one of the worst patterns I've dealt with. The instructions are far from comprehensive, there are no pictures/diagrams for the hard stuff, and the one picture showing the inside of the basket is referred to as the 'schematic'. (Seriously?)

After much swearing and threatening to just throw it all in the trash bin, I got smart and tossed the instructions aside after step 2 and worked it out myself. Every once in a while I scanned the actual pattern to be sure I was on the right track. If I were a glutton for punishment and wanted to make this again, there's quite a few things I'd do differently,the main one being to use fusible fleece between the lining and the outer shell of the basket, and I'd use a much sturdier interfacing than was called for in the dividers...they're a bit on the 'floppy' side.

Well, I'd best let the dogs out now while it's not too cold (it's 16 degrees right now--come morning it will be 12 degrees), and then I'm jumping into my nice cozy bed that the hubs and the dogs have pre-warmed for me.

Enjoy your Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. I do love the Mid Atlantic quilt show, but this year it was not in the cards for me. When I go to it, I drag hub along for the ride. He does Bass Pro and I do the show. He calls me on the cell to see if I am ready for lunch (he scouts a place out).. same goes for dinner. And we have a grand time. I've been able to get a great rate at the Hilton thru work employee discounts. Better than the show rate. :-D Alas.. it will have to wait until next year.

    Very cool on the clock. And I also dislike poorly written patterns. Sometimes I wonder who proofed them. :-)

    Love the threads win on your prev post, btw. I am a thread head. haha
    - Ellen/FSQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the clock. I wonder if our Ikea sells them? I'm with you on bad instructions. I have given up on a couple of things for just that reason.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and look forward to your comments. Thanks for reading. Happy quilting!