Sunday, December 29, 2013

Some Sharp (literally) Christmas Goodies

Santa made sure I had a quilty little Christmas this year.

In addition to the Amish With a Twist Quilt kit, he slipped some fun goodies in my stocking.



I love pretty scissors, and I've got a couple pair of these pretty Gingher's that come out with a new design each year. Sadly, I took a pair to a local quilt shop a couple years back for sharpening and within a month of  getting them home they no longer stay closed, and I think the guy who sharpened them must have cemented the screw in place because it won't turn to tighten it, so Santa relpaced them with this year's model. Thanks Santa!

And I must have been especially nice because Santa paid attention to the fact that I visited every vendor at every quilt show I attended this year and came up empty handed in my quest for Rabbit embroidery scissors. Happy happy happy.






And because I seem to be obsessed with things sharp....



but do not fail to recognize 'safety first', one of my very favorite stocking stuffers was Karen Kay Buckley's scissor protector connector:


You have no idea how I obsess over losing that tiny little 1-3/4" sheath that slips over those incredibly sharp little blades when I'm sewing on a plane or in a waiting room. Now I don't have to worry. It's not going anywhere.

Of course while Santa was stocking his bag at Karen's store, he also thought to slip in some of her unbelievably thin Perfect Pins.

Now, I'm most definitely on the sewing machine service guy's naughty list (along with quite a few other quilters, I suspect), because I prefer to sew over pins. For this reason, I used the uber fine Clover pins. And while I haven't broken a needle, (and I do wear eye protection when I sew--yes, reading glasses count as eye protection) I do bend my fair share of these pins. Well, look at the Perfect Pin in relation to the super fine Clover. Wow!

 See this little vial? See how 'empty' it is? There are 50 pins inside. That's how thin they are.


Can't wait to try them out. In fact, they are so sharp and so thin, they're going to be perfect for the silk quilt once I get around to starting on that. (If only they made an anti-procrastination pin--sigh).

A few more fun things to show you, but they'll have to wait until Monday. Heading out to a movie and brunch with the hubs, and hope to get a little stitching done later this afternoon.

This is the last Sunday of 2013....a good day to tie up loose ends and pick up those loose threads on the studio floor. Enjoy!



1 comment:

I appreciate and look forward to your comments. Thanks for reading. Happy quilting!