Saturday, October 26, 2013

It's Been A Busy Month, But I'm Back on Track (Almost)

 There's been a flurry of activity in the studio for the past month or so.....



First off, I finished the quilt top for the Aiming for Accuracy quilt along. It's 95% Kaffe Fassett prints, stitched together with a 50 wt. Aurifil gray thread (switched to black on those filmstrip borders). As you know, it already has a home...it's going to my SIL's beachhouse when it's done. She's already chosen a fabric for the back from my Kaffe stash, but I think I'm going to shake things up a bit when I get around to it.

While working on this, I couldn't resist starting another project in my down time waiting for the next block to upload....



You remember 'Lemon Pepper', right? Well, the top is pieced, and there were 34 blocks left over (I was going to make pillows but decided against it).  So I laid them out on the design wall a few different ways and came up with a pattern of blocks to be pieced with solid gray...

creating a reversible throw. This one's for Jenifer. I hope to finish it for Christmas, so it's in the queue ahead of the A4A (above).

By now you know that 2 projects at a time is simply not challenging enough for me, so I added a third.....

This is just the center of it (I've sewn together the top; two rows so far). If you think that's a lot of 2" squares, wait until you see the border....it's got about a thousand of them in it. I'll be constructing it using a fusible grid, so I'll be sure to show you how that's done once I get to it. There's still an inner border of 4-patch diamonds that goes around this. I'm stitching this one with a 50 wt white Aurifil. I'll probably quilt it with a 40 wt white, though I may have an appropriate variegated 28 wt in the thread cabinet.

Call me crazy, but I had all these scraps of Kaffe Fassett left over from the A4A quilt, in addition to my hoard stash of uncut Kaffe. Well, my Guild just happened to have a workshop scheduled with Joan Ford of scraptherapy fame, so I signed on at the last minute. In the end, it cost me a ton of money to make this quilt (I bought a lot of neat stuff at the workshop that I'll show in another post), but I really love it. It's going to be a perfect summer quilt, and this one is staying here :)

Check back tomorrow for a little demo of some neat tools and accessories that you may not know about. I'm off to enjoy a cocktail before I start prepping some applique blocks to work on during our upcoming trip to Florida....could be another quilt in there before the end of the year!

1 comment:

  1. I really love the last quilt you showed, and am looking forward to reading about your gadgets. After all, every girl needs good gadgets, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and look forward to your comments. Thanks for reading. Happy quilting!