Monday, May 18, 2009

Where Has May Gone?

Doesn't it seem like the month is just flying by? I'm working in the office today (bummer), but I'm counting the days to the long weekend, which I (hopefully) plan to spend finishing my daughter's quilt.

Saturday the hubs went with me to Sistos Quilting so I could pick up the Thangles BOM for my sister and myself. While there I took a quick (wishful) look at the Berninas. I'm still not over my 'close encounters' of Friday night.

I was tooling around surfing Parsons sewing cabinet because I think I'm pretty much set that I want to get rid of my sewing armoire and sub in something else more practical, with less maintenance (read: does not need to be sanded and painted). Anyway, I find one on Craig's list in Baltimore, only this one comes with the old Bernina 830 (mechanical), and it's a cool $350. What???? The post was from April 30th, so I'm thinking there is no way he still has it. Seriously, my sister has this machine, and I would love to have one of my own. It is a great machine for freemotion (if you can get over the no needle down thing). I email him, and then look for more.

I find a new 730e listed for sale, which includes the BSR for --sit down-- $1000. And it was just listed that afternoon. I immediately email that person, though I'm highly suspicious and wonder how someone who paid $7K for a machine 8 months ago is letting it go for $1K because they just don't use it that often. The BSR alone costs $500.

Saturday morning I get up, no response from the 730 person, but the 830 guy does still have the machine, though someone is coming over to look at it that afternoon with cash, and he promises that if they don't buy it, he'll email me and I can have a shot at it.

Now, there's another 730e listed, and this one is listed for $1500, no BSR. Both machines are from Washington DC, so by now I'm thinking someone has stolen these (sorry D.C.--you've got a bad rap, what can I say). I don't email on this one, which has just been listed, because it doesn't have a BSR. (Obviously, I'm an idiot).

When I checked back a few hours later, neither machine was listed anymore, and no one contacted me, so it just wasn't meant to be. Next time, I'm not going to be such an idiot and send emails asking questions, I'm going to send emails asking where I can bring the cash.

All in all, it wasn't a bad day. I got a new Pro 6 Kitchenaid stand mixer, (going to sell my old one on Craigs list). Already used it twice. Love it. Do you sense a pattern here with me and 'appliances'?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate and look forward to your comments. Thanks for reading. Happy quilting!